Automate Equipment Handover in Your Warehouse Using a Smartphone
An overview of smart equipment handover
Automating equipment handover and asset management is slowly becoming a widespread practice across multiple industries. Managing project handovers in a smooth and efficient manner is necessary for ensuring timeliness, safety, and quality of service. Material movement in warehouses needs to be monitored and recorded. In cases of the arrival of new equipment, equipment modification, installments or new constructions, there comes a time when the project needs to be commissioned or handed over, either from contractors or in-house teams. This process of handover has certain parameters that are to be ensured.
- The quality of equipment must meet the expected standards.
- The transfer of equipment must adhere to the stipulated timeline.
- The transfer and operation of new equipment must follow the safety regulations.
- Ensuring the staff is trained enough to handle and operate the equipment.
- Training the staff with all the necessary maintenance procedures.
Obviously, this requires rigorous tracking of status and documentation. The earlier days often saw warehouse managers in complete confusion with a pile of documents and very little idea about the equipment. With advancements in tracking and data monitoring capabilities like QR codes and barcodes, automated dashboards, smartphone scanning and so on, the process of asset handover has been greatly streamlined. Warehouse managers need to only access the online platform integrating the various aspects of the project handover and they can view its live status.
Integration on a digital platform
- Automating Identification and check-in/check-out: By using barcodes, we can track the entry and exit of assets and equipment into and from the warehouse. Smartphones can have powerful scanning capabilities thus enabling automated check-in/check-outs without investing in costly scanning equipment.
- Automated reporting: By having a mobile platform for the dashboard, warehouse managers can track timelines and the progress of equipment handover from any location. After every vital data entry like the time of check-in/check-out, generation of transfer documents, and completion of quality checks, an update can be automatically sent to the dashboard app present on the smartphone.
- QR codes at checkpoints: By putting up QR code stickers on equipment and facilities, employees can scan the code and receive all the necessary information. This can include operation manuals and maintenance data. Ensuring that the user is trained enough to handle the equipment is a vital part of the handover process.
- Cloud-based documentation: Through cloud connectivity and mobile platforms, all the necessary documents like drawings, equipment manuals, and transfer documents can be viewed at any point in time. Automating documentation not only saves time but also resources.
- Online quality checklist: Warehouse managers can assign various quality inspection duties to supervisors. A thorough breakdown of all the quality checks can be assimilated in the form of an online checklist. After every successful inspection, supervisors can use the checklist on their smartphones. This provides live tracking of progress and saves time and resources in ensuring and reporting equipment quality. The task can be automated further by having warehouse supervisors take pictures of equipment and sending it to a suitable online platform, thereby securing the handover process.
- GoCodes can help you with all your Asset Management requirements.
Posted on Wed, May 9, 2018
by GoCodes Publishing filed under